Monday, November 15, 2010

SUPPOSE

“Suppose,” said I, “that you should see
A small boy tumble from a tree;
How would you tell that tale to me?”

“Why, dad,” said he, “I’d simply say,
I saw a fellow hurt today,
And two men carried him away.”

“How many injured would there be,” I asked?
“Just one, of course,” said he,
“The boy who tumbled from the tree.”

“No, no,” I answered him,
“That fall which hurt the lad brought pain to all,
Who knew and loved that youngster small.”

“His mother wept, his father sighed,
His brothers and sisters cried,
And all his friends were hurt inside.”

“Remember this your whole life through;
Whatever may cause hurt to you
Must hurt us all who love you too.”

“You cannot live your life alone;
We suffer with your slightest groan
And make your pain and grief our own.”

“If you should do one shameful thing,
You would not bear alone the sting;
We’d spend our years in suffering.”

“How many hurt?” We cannot state.
There never falls a blow of fate
But countless people feel its weight.

- Edgar A. Guest

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love this poem. Thank you for introducing me to it. Its meaning is powerful and beautiful, and it is so elegantly written.

    I hope you're having a bery blessed day.

    Love in Christ,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem and it so goes with my post "I Quit"...because it is that pain that we were all feeling. Thanks for your precious comment...God is faithful and dealing with our adult child's heart! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete