Monday, April 30, 2012

Quotes


Knowledge Puffeth Up, But Charity Edifieth. -- (1 Corinthians 8:1)
It is impossible to have fellowship with anyone who has great head knowledge of doctrine, but has not the love of Christ shed abroad in their heart. They will want to argue with you, but never rejoice with you. They will find fault with you, but never comfort you. They will defend their positions, but never just declare Christ crucified with love for those who hear. Even among those who agree on doctrine, there will always be a hair to split, a nit to pick, but never real fellowship. And Paul here, with a word from God almighty, has given us the reason. Only Christ will do.
– Chris Cunningham, pastor Tennessee, USA


The Gospel of God’s grace in Christ Jesus is not a thing to be proved, but truth to be believed. It is not submitted to our reasoning powers as a subject for critical examination. The gospel is a message from God, addressed to the conscience, feelings, and affections. For this reason, men fond of argument and proving everything by strictly logical deduction generally make very poor preachers. In the Scriptures, God does not argue, He proclaims!
– J.C. Philpot (1802-69), English pastor


I am weary of theological controversies and disputes, and desire to choose for myself, and to point out to others, Mary’s part – to sit at Jesus’ feet, and to hear his words. And, blessed be his name! so far as I have learned from him, I am favored with a comfortable certainty: I know whom I have believed, and am no longer tossed about by the various winds and tides of opinions, by which I see many are dashed one against the other. But I cannot, I must not, I dare not, be contentious. Only, as a witness for God, I am ready to bear my simple testimony to what I have known of his truth, whenever I am properly called to it.

– John Newton (1725-1807), English minister & author of hymn “Amazing Grace”

No comments:

Post a Comment